Friday, April 5, 2013

Pussy Riot Update - April 2013

Note: Sorry! I had planned on embedding these videos directly into the post. Alas, some research apparently is necessary. So, unfortunately, this month I will have to use only links to the non-youtube videos. (grumble, grumble)

Mar 20:
Moscow City Court rules that the women’s punishment was “fair and proportional to the offense”.

Mar 24:
Pussy Riot member Kot interviewed on 60 Minutes.

CBS gushes about how rad they are to do this interview.

Some German Lingerie company jumps on a punk rock bandwagon.

Apr 3:
A court has ruled that Maria Alyokhina, who is currently imprisoned in the Perm region, should be transferred to a different prison because she has been in a isolation cell for more than 90 days. She apparently does not want to be transferred.


I’m not sure what is meant by an “isolation cell”. I believe that she still has to get out and work. I don’t think it’s what one might imagine (e.g. “The Hole”). I have no idea though. If it is a room to herself, I can certainly understand why that might be preferable. Regardless, she landed there because her cellmates threatened to kill her.

My thoughts:
1. I think that the German lingerie company IS, in fact, exploiting Pussy Riot. Is that ALL bad? I have a hard time seeing things in black and white. Everything is some sort of gray. Hopefully, a few more people are exposed to the Pussy Riot story. Hopefully, some will visit the website posted at the end of the video. Hey! Wait a second! I am exploiting Pussy Riot too, in order to get eyes to MY blog, aren’t I? Hm...


2. If CBS were really “rad” maybe they should do a story on Barrett Brown. I mean, nothing like the Pussy Riot case would happen in the USA, right? (Aaron Schwartz) Right?

Thank the gods for Glenn Greenwald...

No comments:

Post a Comment