Sunday, April 7, 2013

Short Fiction - April 2013

I enjoy reading speculative fiction short stories from around the web. (Truthfully, I fantasize that one day I will be able to write a story that is compelling enough to be published... sigh...)


I am neither a critic of fiction nor am I a particularly sophisticated reader. I can only tell you what I have enjoyed and sometimes, maybe even, why.


Here are a few standouts from the past month. (Note: I certainly do not read all short stories that are released each month. So, if you found some recent ones that you think really stood out. Let me know! I’d love to read them!)


The Weight of a Blessing by Aliette de Bodard


One line summary: A mother must say goodbye to her soon-to-be-banished criminal daughter. This story haunted me for some time after I read it. I enjoy stories that do that. If you visit her blog, I guarantee that you will come away hungry.



Here are two lighter stories that were both quite fun, but then again, you know, mermaids and fairies. How can you go wrong?


Mermaid’s Hook by Liz Argall

One line summary: Mermaid, in a fit of compassion, decides to save a drowning man. And here the author gives us a little background on her inspiration for the story.



The Fairy Library by Tim Pratt

One line summary: A victim of the recession gets a new job opportunity in a dream library. A longer story, but I was left smiling and content at the end. And here is an interview with the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment