Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Fresh Music - Cheyenne Marie Mize

I came upon Cheyenne Marie Mize on NPR’s preview of 100 SXSW 2013 acts. I’m going through their list alphabetically by song title. And so, “Among the Grey” was one of the first songs that I encountered. I was floored. She rocks! 

The song made me think of Throwing Muses. Wait! That tells you nothing more than the fact that I am (not) late-80’s hip. To apply such a label to Cheyenne Mize would be suffocating. Then again, I feel her entry in Wikipedia is equally confining. Wikipedia lists her as a folk singer-songwriter. No doubt she fits that bill, but from what I heard, the categorization is seriously short-changing her talents. Beyond her talent as a multiple instrumentalist, her vocal strength will make you wonder why you are wasting time watching American Idol. She has it!


I found her youtube channel and went through a number of her songs. This song, “Call Me Beautiful” blew me away. Sparse, haunting, surreal, beautiful. I love it!



Recommended!!


Here is her official web site (tumblr):


No comments:

Post a Comment