Friday, January 18, 2013

why i am a coward

Okay. That previous post was complete crap. Can I start every post that way? I am still trying to determine what it is that I want to write about here.

You are probably wondering, “Who the hell is this hollowwell person, anyway?” (Although, I suppose it is somewhat pompous of me to assume that anyone would really care. But, you know, for the sake of argument...).

Well, let me tell you who I am...

I am a green, immature writer who (hopes to) release(s) stories under an anonymous pseudonym. At risk of being less anonymous than the moniker implies, I will note that I am a successful professional, fairly far advanced along my career path. I have come upon moderate success after years and years of honing my skills.

If I were to write something “controversial” would it jeopardize the opportunities that I have in my professional life? I don’t know. And since I am a coward, I have decided not to find out.

I want to be free to say whatever I want in my writing. I feel like I would moderate myself too much if a professional search on my name resulted in links filled with possibly offensive etchings or ideas. So, at least until I am guaranteed to scoop up gobs of money with my writing [1], I shall remain hollowwell, the anonymous.

[1] As I am somewhat advanced along my professional career, I understand that many of the writers that I love to read have spent an equivalent amount of time honing their skills. I know of the years of toil that it takes to achieve moderate success in one’s career. I have no illusion that my uneducated, inferior scribblings will afford me the existence to which my favorite authors have achieved. I have few illusions[2] that I will be pulling in “gobs of money” any time soon.

[2] I may have few illusions, but I still have big dreams.[3]

[3] I’m stealing my footnoting style from author Stina Lecht.[4]

[4] Or perhaps, House of Leaves which I have been reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment